Tie Break Tens, an exciting new tennis format, will debut in Australia on Wednesday 10 January, just days before Australian Open 2018.
Former world No.1 Novak Djokovic and Australia’s Nick Kyrgios along with six other male players will battle it out at Margaret Court Arena (MCA) for $250,000 in prize money and the coveted Tie Break Tens trophy.
The unique format, with each match consisting of a super tie break to 10, allows a complete tournament to be played in just one night. This is the perfect format for Kyrgios, who is renowned for his fast and ferocious playing style.
There is extra significance for Kyrgios as the event will also raise funds for charity, including Nick’s new charity, the NK Foundation, designed to help disadvantaged children.
“I can’t wait to get out on court and not only play some exciting tennis, but also raise awareness for the NK Foundation which I’m incredibly proud of,” Kyrgios said.
“Tie Break Tens is a great format and really suits my game style. I’m looking forward to having some fun with it and I reckon the crowds will really get into it. It will be the perfect chance for fans to see some high quality tennis before the big one, the Australian Open, starts.”
Australian Open Tournament Director Craig Tiley said Tie Break Tens fits perfectly into the strategy to stretch the tennis season and create new opportunities for players and fans to engage with the sport.
“I’m delighted we will be presenting Tie Break Tens on the eve of Australian Open 2018,” Tiley said.
“The format has created a lot of interest and we look forward to seeing some exciting matches. It’s fast, it’s flashy and heaps of fun for everyone. These events are a great way to attract new audiences to tennis and Tie Break Tens will definitely whet the fans’ appetite for high-calibre tennis before the Australian Open gets underway.”
Tie Break Tens CEO Felicity Barnard added: “After three great events in Europe, we are looking forward to taking Tie Break Tens further afield kicking off with Australia and it will be exciting to see this fantastic new championship tennis format being played at MCA. These events also attract new audiences to tennis and I am delighted that Novak Djokovic and Nick Kyrgios have signed up to our first tournament here in Melbourne.”
“Aussies love their tennis so I know they’re going to relish the chance to see top players competing head-to-head in this exciting new format. Tie Break Tens is a lot of fun but it’s also super-competitive: there’s not many sports events where a player can walk away at the end of a single evening with a championship title, a trophy and $250,000 in prize money.”
Tie Break Tens first launched in 2015 when rising star Kyle Edmund beat top-seeded Andy Murray in a gripping final at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Since then, two further tournaments have been staged in Madrid and Vienna with stars such as Dominic Thiem, Stan Wawrinka, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Grigor Dimitrov, Maria Sharapova, Simona Halep and Johanna Konta all vying for huge winner-takes-all prizes.
More players will be announced soon as part of the Tie Break Tens event.
Tie Break Tens is a quick-fire version of tennis that anyone can play. Tie Break Tens is exciting – and a great way to enjoy a lot of tennis in a short amount of time. Unlike conventional tennis matches, Tie Break Tens matches are comprised solely of tiebreaks – no games, no sets, just exhilarating 10-point tiebreaks in which every point counts.
The Tie Break Tens series sees world-class players go head to head in fast-paced, action-packed knock out tournaments at prestigious venues around the globe for winner-takes-all prize of $250,000. So far, the Tie Break Tens has visited London, Vienna and Madrid with $1,000,000 awarded in prize money over four tournaments. In 2018, Tie Break Tens is heading to MCA in Melbourne in January with more stops soon to be announced.