In a first US Open final to be decided by a fifth-set tie-break, today, Dominic Thiem wins US Open 2020 title. Thiem beat Alexander Zverev in a 5-set thriller 2-6, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 7-6 (8/6) in the men’s singles final. In the women’s singles, Naomi Osaka of US won her third grand slam as she defeated Victoria Azarenka to win US Open 2020 title. It was her second US Open title after her 2018 title win. In the Men’s Singles, it was a historic US Open final as it brought several firsts. Now, lets see how it happened.
US Open 2020 Title clash:
Corona hit US Open 2020 saw withdrawals from two of the BIG 3 of current era viz Roger Federer & Rafael Nadal and it was predicted to be an easy route to 18th Grand Slam title for the Serbian Superstar Novak Djokovic, but it was not to be. The World number crashed out of the tournament for “defaulting” in his round of 16 match against Pablo Carreño Busta. His hit unintentionally hit a line judge and it was curtains for the ace tennis player.
With him crashing out, US Open for the first time in six years was going towards the Next Gen and Alexander Zverev & Dominic Thiem reached to a stage where it could be any of the two. In the final, at once, Zverev was two set up with 6-2 6-4 and it looked a straight set win for the German, but Thiem changed the tide in the third set with a 6-4 win.
With this set, Thiem changed the course of the match as he won the fourth set 6-3. The fifth set saw both players giving all their energy as it went to a tie-break that the Austrian won 8-6 to pocket the set 7-6 and the US Open 2020 Title.
Thiem’s Way to US Open 2020 Title:
Thiem started his US Open campaign with a walkover against Jaume Munar when he was leading the match 7-6 (8-6), 6-3. In the second round he defeated Sumit Nagal of India in straight sets 6-3 6-3 6-2. In the third round, he beat Marin Čilić of Croatia 6-2 6-2 3-6 6-3. In the round of 16, he defeated Canadian Félix Auger-Aliassime 7-6 (7-4) 6-1 6-1 to reach the quarter-finals where he had a clash with Alex De Minaur who he beat in straight sets 6-1 6-2 6-4.
In the semi-final, he faced Russian Daniil Medvedev, a thrilling contest which he won 6-2 7-6 (9-7) 7-6 (7-5) to set a title clash with Sascha Zverev. The German entered the title clash winning a 5-sets thriller in the semifinal against Pablo Carreño Busta of Spain.
There were a few first or records that were made during the US Open 2020 title clash, here they are:
- This was the first US Open title decided by a fifth-set tie-break
- Dominic Thiem became the first player in Open Era to win US Open title after being two sets down in a final.
- Dominic Thiem became the fifth player in Open Era to win a Grand Slam title after being two sets down in a final.
- Thiem became the first player born in 90s to win a US Open title.
- Dominic Thiem became the first player born in 90s to win a Grand Slam title.
- Thiem became the 55th Grand Slam champion in the Open Era.
- Dominic Thiem became the 150th Grand Slam champion.
- Thiem became the 53rd US Open champion in the Open Era.
- Dominic Thiem won his first Grand Slam.
- This was the fourth Grand Slam final for Thiem.
- This was the first US Open & Grand Slam final for Alexander Zverev.
Hello Friends, join our Telegram Channel via this link:— SportsCrunch (@SportsCrunch) July 15, 2020
Cricket, Football, Tennis and every popular sports news, views, opinions and updates at your finger tips.https://t.co/0dzACSB5V8