Kolkata: Former president of the BCCI Anurag Thakur got into a new trouble all over again after the Supreme Court rejected his earlier apology and asked him to submit a fresh ,”one page short affidavit” providing unconditional apology by July 12.
“We are not happy with the affidavit of apology; it has to be categorical,” Justice Dipak Mishra said.
Thakur has also been asked to appear in person before the court on July 14, which is the next date for the hearing of the perjury proceedings against him.
The 42-year-old got into trouble last year when a false affidavit was filed by him in the Supreme Court which said that he had not sought any letter from the International Cricket Council which would have any effect n over reaching of the recommendation.
As a matter of fact, in a meeting with the ICC Chief Dave Richardson in Dubai, Anurag Thakur had sought a letter from the international governing body of cricket suggesting that the appointment of Comptroller and Auditor General (referring to Vinod Rai) in the BCCI will lead to interference by the government.
In due course, Richardson went ahead and stated that the BCCI had sought such a letter from the ICC but the appeal was declined.
The Supreme Court while initiating a contempt of court case against Thakur last year, had said, “Prima facie, we feel you are in contempt of court and we are inclined to launch prosecution against you. ICC chairman Shashank Manohar says that you have asked him to write a letter. There was no occasion for you to do it when the Supreme Court had said that appointment of CAG nominee would bring in transparency.”
Anurag Thakur was relieved of his services as the BCCI president along with former secretary Ajay Shirke for not adhering to the guidelines set by the Supreme Court in the implementation of the Lodha Committee reforms.