Mumbai: Ace tennis icon Rafael Nadal is all geared up to show his absolute valour in the upcoming Grand Slam and can die in order to achieve so, as reported on Saturday.
The 14-time Grand Slam winner succumbed to volleys of ill-timed injuries, determined his do-or-die route to bag the next slam.
“I’m going to die to be ready again to compete for everything,” he told The Times at his new academy in his hometown of Manacor on the island of Majorca.
Inspite of bringing home two titles this year, his injuries did cost him the chance of winning a 10th French Open, announcing last month of his premature exit in order to nurse himself back to health for the following season.
“I’m going to work more than ever to try to make that happen and I have big determination to put me in a position to fight again for important things,” said an unwavering Nadal.
The former World No. 1 who one two Olympic bronze in doubles but lost out in the third place singles match, stated his left wrist injury during the French Open occurred at the most unfortunate moment.
“It has been a tough year for me because I got injured at the worst possible time when I was playing great and was having a lot of fun on the court,” he said.
“But that’s part of life and I just have to be positive and keep working hard and my main goal now is to recover and be ready for next season. And I’m going to die for that.”
Inspite of pertaining hardships in the court, he faced many outside as well and finally decided to put his foot down.
Former French Sports Minister Roselyne Bachelot made an unproven allegation the Spaniard had covered up a failed drugs test in 2012; Nadal had her sued for false allegations.
“It was the moment to say it’s enough, that’s all,” said Nadal, who also demanded the International Tennis Federation (ITF) publish his medical records in retaliation to Bachelot’s allegation.
“It’s not about being frustrated it’s just a moment to say, ‘Here is a line,’ because it happened in the past a couple of times.
“I hate problems and I hate . . . these things but when that happened with the minister of France I say, ‘OK, now is enough.’
“If somebody like her, who should be serious, can say this stupid stuff then now is the moment to say, ‘OK, from now everybody who is going to speak of this kind of stuff with no proof then I’m going to do the same and take legal action against that person.’
“I know how much I did to be where I am, and I know 100 per cent my values.”
The 2017 Grand Slam season starts in January with the Australian Open up for grabs. Nadal wants to prove his unwavering attempt at pulling his socks up.
“I’m really motivated to come back to where I was before the injury happened because I feel ready for it,” he said.