Kolkata: After a debacle on Sunday in the form of a 2-0 loss to arch-rivals Mohun Bagan, East Bengal have decided to part ways with out-of-form striker Willis Plaza.
The former Trinidad and Tobago international has received the backing of coach Khalid Jamil all throughout the season so far but after the derby loss where his performance was once again disappointing, the club officials didn’t want to retain his services any more.
As a matter of fact, Plaza has been in poor form all throughout the season starting from the Calcutta Football League last year. But despite all the criticism, Jamil had always backed the Trinidadian to find his scoring boots. Even in the ongoing I-League, Plaza has failed to make any impact whatsoever barring a brace against low-ranked Churchill Brothers and thus, while the transfer window is still active, East Bengal wanted to do away with him and find an able replacement.
Even Jamil, who had won the I-League with Aizawl FC last year has come under pressure after he has failed to deliver in both the matches against Mohun Bagan. After losing 1-0 to arch-rivals just last December, the Red and Golds failed to go past Mohun Bagan once again and in the post-match press conference, Jamil admitted that it was all his fault.
“I admit that it is 100% my fault. I don’t want to blame any player,” he said accepting that he had made tactical errors.
“The players weren’t ready and I should have made my defense a bit strong,” he added.
After the two first-half goals, the East Bengal half of the crowd at the Salt Lake stadium on Sunday had turned silent and were occasionally screaming, “Khalid Jamil go back.” Commenting on this, he said, “The supporters have the right to say this. I will not give any excuse and I take all the blame. We have made mistakes and I take responsibility for it.”