New Delhi: Following the ball tampering saga, Australia captain Steve Smith along with deputy David Warner were handed a 12-month ban from the sport, as announced by Cricket Australia on Wednesday.
Cameron Bancroft, who was also involved in the incident however has been banned for nine months. He and Smith would also not be able to captain Australia for at least the next two years.
The Australian cricket board also said that Warner would not be considered for, “any team leadership positions in the future.”
Cricket Australia’s Chief Executive James Sutherland said, “As the Chairman has noted, the sanctions we have announced are significant for the individuals involved. That is why the process has had to be thorough to ensure that all relevant issues have been examined.”
Sutherland had also asked Smith and Warner to relinquish their roles as captain and vice-captain of the Australian team, following the shameful incident.
“I am satisfied that the sanctions in this case properly reflect a balance between the need to protect the integrity and reputation of the game and the need to maintain the possibility of redemption for the individuals involved, all of whom have learned difficult lessons through these events.
“As indicated, Cricket Australia will provide more details of an independent review into the conduct and culture of our Australian men’s team in due course,” he added.
Smith was earlier fined and handed a one-match ban for breaching ICC’s code of conduct. The 25-year-old Bancroft, who was caught on camera tampering the ball was fined 75 per cent of his match fee and three demerit points.
Cricket Australia’s chairman David Peever said, “As I indicated yesterday, the CA Board understands and shares the anger of fans and the broader Australian community about these events.
“They go to the integrity and reputation of Australian Cricket and Australian sport and the penalties must reflect that.
“These are significant penalties for professional players and the Board does not impose them lightly. It is hoped that following a period of suspension, the players will be able to return to playing the game they love and eventually rebuild their careers,” Peever added.
Warner had earlier stepped down as captain of his IPL franchise Sunrisers Hyderabad before the ban on Wednesday and Smith had also relinquished his captaincy of the Rajasthan Royals, who are returning to the IPL after a two-year suspension.
Confirming their absence from the IPL, chairman Rajeev Shukla said, “The players that they [Cricket Australia] have banned, we are also barring those two players from this season.
“The franchises will get replacements for the players.”