Kolkata: Drama in the latest BCCI-ICC episode concerning India’s participation in the upcoming Champions Trophy, the Committee of Administrators (COA) won’t mind moving to the Supreme Court to get the nod.
COA is believed to have written a letter to the state affiliates of the BCCI stating that they would consider seeking the Supreme Court’s intervention if the May 7 SGM decides against the “interest of Indian cricket”.
This letter comes in the wake of some speculations which say that the BCCI is seriously thinking of boycotting the Champions Trophy next month, despite the COA making it clear that such a decision shouldn’t be taken and applied without consent.
Point 13 of the letter states that the COA would wholeheartedly support any decision which, “protects the interest of Indian cricket as a whole.”
At the same time, they wouldn’t give second thoughts before moving to the Supreme Court if a decision that goes against the interest of Indian cricket is taken.
The letter read, “..we would be duty bound to bring such decision to the attention of the Hon’ble Supreme Court, communicate our views to the Hon’ble Supreme Court and seek its intervention in the matter as also to take such other steps that we consider necessary to protect the interests of Indian cricket.”
The letter also stated that the International Cricket Council (ICC) might be ready to renegotiate with the BCCI on the revenue model but at the same time, it made clear that the Indian board’s demand for USD 570 million according to the 2014 plan “will not be accepted” by the international cricket body.
Talk of 2014 model
Some members of the BCCI, who support the 2014 model held a tele-conference on Tuesday where they decided to invoke the Members Participation Agreement of 2014, which allows a pull-out. But Point 10 in the COA’s letter makes it very clear as to what’s in store for BCCI if it decides to take on the ICC.
“It is extremely unlikely that ICC and other cricket boards will agree to the amount/share envisaged under financial model that was put in place in 2014” the letter read.
The COA however feels that negotiations between the two bodies should take place as the ICC might be ready to take up a stand somewhere between alloting USD 570 million and USD 293 million.
“The ICC and other cricket boards will certainly agree to an amount/share that is higher than what is envisaged under revised financial model” further added the letter.
The COA further stated that the BCCI should make wise choices before they end up taking any extreme step which is likely to be followed by consequences.
The COA letter further said, “It is not in the interest of Indian cricket for BCCI to take any drastic step/measure which may result in breakdown of negotiations between BCCI, ICC and other cricket boards, especially since there is sufficient time between now and ICC conference to be held in June, 2017, for a negotiated outcome to be arrived at.”
As of now, it seems that the COA is hellbent on not allowing India’s pull-out from the Champions Trophy become a reality. This is something that should give some hope to Indian cricket followers all over the globe. However, all our eyes would be on the 7th of May, the day that the BCCI decides it’s next move in this issue.
(With inputs from agencies)