Today we discuss a few facts about Cricket World Cup 2007. The ICC World Cup played in West Indies in the year 2007 was the 9th World Cup tournament and it was played in the One day International (ODI) format. The 16 teams played in a competition of 51 matches from March 13th to April 28th, 2007. The world Cup tournament was spread over 9 beautiful islands of West Indies and entertained the cricket-lovers for over 47 days non-stop.
Facts about Cricket World Cup 2007
Here we talk about some interesting facts about Cricket World Cup 2007, facts that made this world cup different:
Read also: 1975 World Cup’s Highest Individual Scores
- The concept of Super 8 was introduced which allowed eight teams to play in a round robin format before the semi-finals and final.
- The World Cup 2007 saw the early upsets, bigger surprises, and awful incidents during the 9th World Cup tournament.
- The World Cup favorites India and Pakistan both failed to pass the group stage and were knocked out of the tournament at an early stage. Isn’t it a bizarre fact about Cricket World Cup 2007?
- Australia entered into the final for a third consecutive time in a row and overall fourth time when it defeated Sri Lanka to win the World Cup.
- Australian team remained unbeaten in the tournament and it had won in 29 successive matches which were a unique record.
- The most shocking part of the tournament was when the lowest-ranked Bangladesh and the debutant Ireland entered into the Super 8 level by defeating the heavyweights India & Pakistan respectively.
- Team India had put on a tough fight in the group level matches but in the matches against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, India lost it while playing under the pressure and couldn’t make it to the Super 8 stage.
- Glenn McGrath, one of the most effective Australian bowlers, was declared as the player of the World Cup tournament 2007. He played for the last time in a world cup. McGrath grabbed 26 wickets.
- Mahela Jayawardene led his Sri Lankan team and matched the skills and talent of the Australian team to put-on a courageous performance to become favorites of the tournament.
- The most unfortunate incident was the death of Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer in the hotel room at Jamaica, just after Pakistan’s defeat in hands of debutant Ireland.
The World Cup tournament had started in a joyful and engaging atmosphere in the beautiful locations of West Indies but ended in a mysterious atmosphere in the rain-affected boring final match.
These were a few facts about Cricket World Cup 2007 which you might or not be knowing. Don’t forget to pen down your comments.