The Cricket World Cup 2011 tournament was hosted on the Asian soil for the second time and India not only geared-up to take the opportunity but fulfilled the dream of millions of Indians successfully. Here are a few facts about the tournament:
Facts about Cricket World Cup 2011
- World Cup 2011 was jointly hosted by India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. The matches were played on 13 different stadiums of the selected cities of three countries.
- The 14 countries participated in the World Cup Cricket 2011. The countries were divided into two groups such as: Group A: Australia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, New Zealand, Zimbabwe, Canada, Kenya. Group B: India, England, South Africa, Bangladesh, West Indies, Netherlands, Ireland.
- Total number of matches played during Cricket World Cup 2011 (49) was the highest when compared with the previous World Cup matches.
- The Prize Money of the tournament was about 10 Million US Dollars, out of which 3 Million US Dollars were given to the winning team and 1.5 Million US Dollars for the runners-up.
- Yuvraj Singh was the man of the moment. He received Man of the Series award. Yuvraj remained fourth highest run-getter after (Tendulkar, Gambhir & Dhoni) and become second highest wicket taker after Zaheer Khan for India during the tournament.
- The biggest surprise for the cricket lovers was the entry of New Zealand team into the semi final and the early exit of South African team from the tournament.
- Virat Kohli showed the temperament to play a balanced innings when under pressure. Three times during the tournament he had come under pressure when India lost early wickets, but played responsible innings.
- Master blaster Sachin Tendulkar had played 6 World Cup tournaments which is also a record. Tendulkar had been part of World Cup tournaments since 1992 but his dream came true in 2011.
- The top run scorers of the tournament were Dilshan (500), Tendulkar (482) and Sangakkara (465). The leading wicket takers were Afridi /Zaheer Khan (21) Southee (18) and Yuvraj Singh (15).
- Sri Lanka beat New Zealand by 5 wickets and India won against Pakistan by 29 runs to meet in the final. Captain Dhoni’s match-winning efforts along with magnificent knock of Gambhir helped India to win the World Cup after 28 years.
These were 10 key facts about Cricket World Cup 2011. Don’t forget to put in your comments.