Ajit Agarkar or Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar was an Indian Medium pacer and a handy lower order batter who shared new ball with the likes of Javagal Srinath and Venkatesh Prasad when he started his career and with Zaheer Khan when he ended his career. He was seen as a potential all-round option, he had a few innings to boost those claims.
Post his active career, he would turn to coaching and commentary.
Ajit Agarkar: Born & Family
|FULL NAME||Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 4, 1977|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|PLACE OF RESIDENCE||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|FATHER’S NAME||Balachandra Agarkar|
|SPOUSE’S NAME||Fatema Ghadially Agarkar|
|SPORTS TYPE||Team Sport|
|RETIREMENT||October 16, 2013|
|ROLE||Right Arm Medium Pacer|
|LEVEL||National, International, Club|
|TEAMS||India, Kolkata Knight Riders, Middlesex, Mumbai, Delhi Capitals, Warne Warriors|
Debut Test Match: at Harare Sports Club vs Zimbabwe on October 7, 1998
Last Test Match: at Lahore vs Pakistan on January 17, 2006
Debut ODI Match: at Kochi vs Australia on April 1, 1998
Last ODI: at The Oval vs England on September 5, 2007
Debut T20I Match: at Johannesburg vs South Africa on December 1, 2006
Last T20I: at Johannesburg vs New Zealand on September 16, 2007
Last IPL Match: at Sawai Mansingh Stadium vs Rajasthan Royals on May 07, 2013
Ajit Agarkar has taken 58 wickets in 26 matches in 8 years of Test career at an average of 47.32 including a five-wicket haul. Agarkar has scored 571 runs at an average of 16.79 including one hundred, his 109 not out at Lord’s.
He has taken 288 wickets in 191 matches in 9 years of ODI career at an average of 27.85 including 2 five-wicket hauls & 10 four-wicket hauls. Ajit Agarkar has scored 1269 runs at an average of 14.58 and strike rate of 80.62 including 3 fifties.
Ajit Agarkar has taken 3 wickets in 4 matches in a year of T20I career at an average of 28.33. Agarkar has scored 15 runs in the two innings he batted.
He has taken 29 wickets in 42 matches in 5 years of IPL career at an average of 39.69. Ajit has scored 179 runs at an average of 17.9 and strike rate of 116.23 with 39 as his best.
1. On April 1, 1998, Ajit Agarkar took his 50th ODI wicket and became the fastest to this milestone. In 2009, Ajantha Mendis of Sri Lanka overpassed it to achieve this milestone in 19 ODI matches.
2. Ajit Agarkar registered an unfortunate record of most consecutive ducks in test matches when he recorded 5 in Border Gavaskar Trophy 1999-2000. This is also the record for international cricket.
3. Ajit Agarkar’s 6/42 at Melbourne in 2004 against Australia was the best ODI figures by an Indian Bowler in a lost cause.
4. He has a rare record of having his name on Lord’s Honours Board. On July 29, 2002, when Ajit Agarkar achieved this feat, he became the 7th Indian to this feat and this was the 9th century at Lord’s by an Indian Cricketer.
5. On December 14, 2000, Ajit Agarkar hit a 21-ball half-century against Zimbabwe at Rajkot, thus becoming the fastest Indian Cricketer to an ODI half-century.